Stillwater Modern For Sale

13 Jul

Stillwater, OK is not a town known for its modern architecture but there are always exceptions. This particular home was made aware to me by the trustee of the estate. I’m not sure who the architect is but have submitted this question. I have included the photos and description she sent me, below. If you have any questions feel free to comment below or contact her directly.

Stillwater Modern home for sale by the trustee of architect/owner designed house. He was a student and later a faculty member of the OSU School of Architecture. The architect and his wife were the only people who lived in the house since its construction. The original part of the house was constructed in the 1950’s and then an east addition was constructed some years later.

The house is all concrete and steel construction over a crawl space, with a partial basement. The flooring includes cork, stone, and real wood parquet. There are no floor-to-ceiling walls in the house (except what was the original outer wall), however there are several pocket doors that can define separate areas.

The house covers about 2,400 square feet and has a basement under the original part of the house. The flooring includes cork, slab stone and parquet. Much of the indoor shelving is suspended from the ceiling. There are one full bath and two three-quarter baths. The house is all concrete and steel construction and sits on about three-quarters of an acre.

I have attached some photos of the outside and inside of the house. Choose one outside and one inside shot to include on your website.

If anyone would be interested in knowing more about the house or in seeing it to consider purchasing it, I would be happy for them to contact me by email at betsyshowalter@gmail.com.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • Google

10 Responses to “Stillwater Modern For Sale”

1. Neal Buck 19. Jul, 2009 at 12:17 pm #

That’s WIlliam (George) and Mildred (Midge) Chamberlain’s home. He was an architecture professor at OSU. Midge died earlier this year and I purchased their excellent art collection out of the estate. The house is at 2401 W 8th Street. I grew up three blocks from there on 5th St.

2. Neal 19. Jul, 2009 at 12:33 pm #

By the way, readers of this webpage may be interested to know that most of George Chamberlain’s art collection is at Pierson Gallery in Tulsa. Very high quality, modern, and perfectly authentic for your 50’s/60’s modern Oklahoma home right down to the artist made frames! J. Jay McVicker, Doel Reed, Dale McKinney, and other first rate artists from OSU. Ask for Linda. She even has a couple of cool handmade benches designed by Chamberlain. In my humble view, the right art is at least as important that the right furniture to preserve an architect’s environment.

3. cole 14. Aug, 2009 at 1:46 pm #

Neal, thanks for sharing! I am glad you shared the address. I was asked not to in my post but if the public is going to add it by all means.

I am a big fan of Dale McKinney. My parents have 5-6 of his pieces and I remember visiting his geodesic dome in Stillwater and seeing all of his cool gadgets! What an amazing man. I would love to see this gallery you speak of.

4. Jennifer Knight Brakhage 05. Oct, 2009 at 8:37 pm #

I grew up in Stillwater and have recently moved back and purchased the Chamberlain home…. I was not familiar with Prof. Chamberlain until I feel in love with his home. We are looking forward to getting moved in and interested in any information in order to help preserve the home in it’s original manner……..please post any information you have……. we’re so excited about his home and the type of work he did.

5. cole 06. Oct, 2009 at 9:13 am #

Jennifer, I am not sure I know which home that is. Sounds exciting though! I’d love to see some pics if you care to share!

6. Jennifer Knight Brakhage 10. Oct, 2009 at 11:29 am #

Cole, I was speaking of 2401 W 8th Ave in Stillwater; the home pictured and discussed above.

I beg the audience again to donate whatever information or knowledge you have of the home and the Chamberlains.

Thanks

7. Rory 15. Mar, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

Jennifer, George Chamberlain was a professor at Oklahoma State University School of Architecture for decades. He was a licensed architect and he taught “Architectural History and Perspective Drawings, Shades & Shadows”. I was one of his students and later one of his teaching assistants back in the 80’s. He had a vast knowledge of architectural history and was very dedicated to the profession of architecture. I was only in his house one time while attending college at OSU. I’m glad to hear that you are now the current resident at his old address!

8. Virgil Carter 26. Aug, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

Jennifer, I just came upon this thread. I was a student, teaching assistant and later, a faculty college of George’s. If you’d like to know more about George and how he came to design his house let me know!

Best,
    Virgil

9. Jen B 06. Jan, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

I am very interested in any information about Prof Chamberlin’s home.

10. Virgil Carter 06. Jan, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

Jen, George Chamberlain was an architect and World War II vet. After the war, the U.S. had a surplus of war-oriented materials and technology. Building metal buildings was one of these technologies that interested George. Being an innovator and imaginative architect, he investigated the idea of building a steel house, rather than a traditional wood framed house.

Several other similar attempts took place in different parts of the U.S. over time. For example, Carl Koch in the northeast and the Eichler homes in California both experimented with steel framed houses, but they did not catch on to any wide extent.

George and his house were really pioneers in exploring alternative methods to build a house. Your house is really one of a kind–a testament to George’s vison and skill.

George was an inspiration to all who knew him–a great teacher, a talented architect and a fine gentleman. It was an honor to have been one of his students and later one of his faculty colleagues and friends.

Hope this helps.