Inside the Tulsa Club

9 Jun

Walking past the Tulsa Club on my way to and from work every day definitely got me wondering what was inside. At one time this was the most prestigious social and athletic club in Tulsa so it had to be nice, right. I’ve heard lore of the wealthiest Tulsans including Waite Phillips indulging in the finer aspects of life at this facility.

So, let’s just say someone invited me inside to take a tour. Two of my colleagues and I entered the building and had a look around. We thoroughly explored the facility from street level to the roof, from racquetball courts to ballrooms from bookkeeping to bathrooms… They really did have had a ton of bathrooms in this place and plenty of graffiti as well. See for yourself at the full photo gallery.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • Google

12 Responses to “Inside the Tulsa Club”

1. Paul Uttinger 11. Jun, 2009 at 6:47 pm #

The international organization now known as the Barbershop Harmony Society held their first meeting on the rooftop on April 11, 1938. (Roof is shown in images 4729 and 4735.)

2. Dan Leek 30. May, 2010 at 5:15 pm #

My Grandparents were longtime members of the Tulsa Club till haelth dclined in 1970’s. My Mother’s wedding reception was held at Tulsa Club in 1950. Sad to see these photos that give reality to the situation of this compromised building. I was a guest for lunch one day and remember the Dining/Ball Room where we ate.

3. Dan Leek 30. May, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

My Grandparents were longtime members of the Tulsa Club till health dclined in 1970’s. My Mother’s wedding reception was held at Tulsa Club in 1950. Sad to see these photos that give reality to the situation of this compromised building. I was a guest for lunch one day and remember the Dining/Ball Room where we ate.

4. Any Car Finance 10. Jun, 2010 at 1:47 am #

This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.I am very happy with this club.
    Any Car Finance
    *********
    mariah

5. Betsy Beard 06. Aug, 2010 at 10:03 pm #

i grew up in the Tulsa Club; my parents took me there frequently. I spent most of my time in the ladies “lounge” — on one side of a great hall was the opulent ladies restroom and on the other a gathering place with couches and elegant chairs. I believe there was a big TV (this was the ‘fifties and ’sixties) and when I was about 10 I watched an early replay of The Wizard of Oz in that room with my little ‘boyfriend.’ There were mirrors everywhere — it was as elegant as Versailles.

I used to run up and down the stairs back and forth to the dining room. I was a little terror, I believe. But I always felt right at home.

Michael Crawshaw was the manager, a refined, kind British gentleman. He was always so lovely to me.

6. Betsy Beard 06. Aug, 2010 at 10:05 pm #

These photos are heartbreaking.

7. David Littrell 15. Sep, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

I Came Across This Web site and it’s Pictures while cruising the web.I Worked at the club in the late 70s
    and early 80s. I did work under Mr. Crawshaw myself
    must say that seeing these pictures bring back memories
    and at the same time are sad and I must say spooky.

8. Keith Lehmann 07. Mar, 2011 at 10:00 pm #

I would love to see pictures of the inside of the elevator cars. This was and is a beautiful building. It is a shame that it has deteriorated to the current state. Thanks for the picture of the elevator electrics (#75) and the landing doors (#21). I have been fascinated with this building for a long time. I tried to go in once when I was a kid, I was promptly and properly thrown out. If there was a way I could get in and look around (legally) I would happily jump at the chance.

9. jay caudell 16. Mar, 2011 at 11:37 am #

i worked in the storeroom on 10 floor for 12 years had lots of fond memories was a grand building

10. lkjthg 15. Jun, 2012 at 2:31 am #

aselfabsorbed child she gave her entire thought to herself,as she had always timberland done. If she had been older she wouldno doubt have been very anxious at

11. David Crawshaw 11. Jul, 2012 at 10:48 am #

I grew up in this building, as my Father Mike Crawshaw was the General Manager there for 23 years. All of my memories of this building and the people that worked there are great. I worked on every floor of the building and it helped shape my career of Club Management. It is sad to see the building in this shape, I have on many occasions driven downtown and just sit outside the building remembering what once was. The employees of the Club helped raise me and my siblings. We all worked there at some point in our youth. My Father did a great job managing the Club and loved all the employees he had. The Tulsa Club will always be my HOME, away from home. I just hope that the city does the right thing and preserves my old home correctly.

12. Josh Barrett 08. May, 2013 at 7:26 pm #

I just purchased the building and would like to gather as much information as I can
    about the building. josh@vestatulsa.com is my address. Thanks