Sungate Subdivision

17 Feb

Sungate Community, a mid-century subdivision on the border of Midtown and South Tulsa (South of 51st, East of Sheridan) and has a very respectable showing of modern homes.

A few streets of predominantly moderns exist though the neighborhood is largely comprised traditional ranches with a few moderns here and there. Many are unfortunately not particularly cared for though there seem to be a few of which the owners obviously take pride in. From my experience these seem to be rather affordable homes and are rarely cherished for their design so there may be some deals here if the right one were to come available.

From the Sungate Marketing Packet I obtained at the Tulsa Public Library -

…The unique new land of fine home living conceived and created by a group of Tulsa’s leading builders… Planned to be Tulsa’s last word in location… in livability… in luxury (at a likable price)… Offering you true individuality in the home you select… plus the distinction of an expertly planned “community”… THE SUNGATE COMMUNITY.

I tried to do some research on this neighborhood in the past with little success. I looked up the tax records of a number of properties, went to the courthouse and the downtown library. I didn’t manage to find out who designed these, who built them or really anything for that matter. The most interesting thing I discovered was an original neighborhood brochure marketing the neighborhood, which unfortunately did not include any of the vitals I was seeking.

see full sungate gallery

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • Google

9 Responses to “Sungate Subdivision”

1. Waylon Summers, Lovetts Gallery 18. Feb, 2009 at 5:06 pm #

A few of those are in pretty good exterior condition. I asked my realtor last week to start looking for mid-century under $250K further West of Yale and North of 41st…we shall see.

2. Tom Reardon 18. Feb, 2009 at 8:04 pm #

Now those are outstanding. I love the Eichler influence. I have family in Tulsa so I’m frequently looking for these wonderful modern ranch homes. These designs are few and far between in Wichita. We do have a couple in our Benjamine Hills neighborhood that are fantastic examples of mid-century custom built and designed homes. It’s depressing to see all of the look-alike Hollywood facades in current construction. The future looked so bright back in 1960. What happened?

3. cole 19. Feb, 2009 at 12:00 pm #

The ultimate question, Tom. Not sure but we seem to have gotten off track somehow from the promise the 50’s and 60’s showed. General public tastes have reverted in my opinion.

4. Ryan Hines 04. Mar, 2009 at 3:12 pm #

I had no idea there were little mini-Eichlers in Tulsa! I wish you knew who designed them.

That first one looks great, but it’s a shame that some people had to paint theirs electric blue… [shudder].

And I agree that most new construction is horrific. It’s like Oklahoma Baroque. Five kinds of brick and rock and as many little spires as you can cram onto one roof. At least in Stillwater…

5. Deane Allinson 09. Mar, 2009 at 12:23 pm #

I just recently moved to Tulsa and was specificly looking for a MCM house. I found the perfect one (for my wife & me) in Sungate. Works well with my furniture! I had only moved into the house 31 days when the plant where I worked closed. I am going to have to sell it now. Koi pond in back with bamboo. White brick & lava rock. killer Lava rock& white brick fireplace, 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, sun room/office, 2 car garage in rear, additional covered parking or patio in rear for 4 cars or outdoor living. knock on door to see. 6817 E. 55th Street. Behind “The Farm” shopping center at 51st& Sheridan

6. James Dumar 30. Sep, 2011 at 4:40 pm #

The house marked 6790 was my old home from around 1967 to 1970 ( I think ).
    A pleasant surprise to see it here!
    Especially welcome as I live in Australia since 1983, and rarely make it back to Tulsey Town.
    Thanks!

7. James Dumar 30. Sep, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

sorry 6798

8. Emily 26. Nov, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

One of the homes pictured on this site is now vacant. It isn’t listed for sale but you can probably track down the owners via court or tax records. I am not sure if it is ok to post my email address here but if you comment I will see it and send you the address.

9. Emily 26. Nov, 2012 at 11:33 pm #

If you email our neighborhood association with a message for me I can contact you that way too
    Emily