Utica Modern

14 Feb

This is one of my favorite homes in Tulsa. Right on Utica Ave. between 36th and 41st street.  This is a rarity being a modern in a convenient Midtown, Tulsa location. These are too few. Someday I hope to live here. Who knows the architect/history/owner of this place?

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • Google

9 Responses to “Utica Modern”

1. derek 16. Feb, 2009 at 10:39 am #

Cole- Frederick Vance Kershner designed this house for Ira E. Sanditen, but I’m not sure about the date. Mid 1950s maybe? This is also one of my favorites, and you can’t beat the location.

2. Gromit 16. Feb, 2009 at 1:00 pm #

Per the county, it’s:

ANDERSON, MARY KORTKAMP, TRUSTEE OF MARY KORTKAMP, ANDERSON TRUST C/O TRUST CO OF OKLAHOMA PO BOX 3627 TULSA OK 74101-3627

A trust generally means an older owner. I’ve watched this home for 20 years (grew up around the corner) and it has not changed hands once. Meaning I’ve never gotten to see the inside. Dang it. Appears similar to the home at the SE corner of 34th St and Zunis Place, which went a few years ago for about 650K, a great, enormous and rambling home that needed a lot of interior updating (was sold by the estate of the originial owner).

So you may get your opportunity to live in it someday — if I don’t oubid you for it!

3. cole 16. Feb, 2009 at 1:20 pm #

Great info guys! I had suspected Kershner may have had something to do with it. Lloyd had speculated this and I feel as though there are some similar elements between his designs. Sure do love this place!

4. cole 16. Feb, 2009 at 1:22 pm #

Oh, does anyone out there have any interior shots of this place? Please share.

5. Waylon Summers, Lovetts Gallery 18. Feb, 2009 at 5:07 pm #

One of my dream houses…at least from the outside.

6. Philip 19. Feb, 2009 at 5:34 pm #

I love this house as well. If you replaced the aluminum windows and made a smooth fascia, this house would pass for what is being designed currently. Good testament that clean design and natural materials can be timeless.

7. Yogi 03. Mar, 2009 at 1:25 pm #

A very attractive house. I’ll have to look at it a little closer next time I am by.

8. Steven Sanditen 11. Apr, 2009 at 9:48 am #

I grew up in this house! Ira Sanditen was my father. This house was built in 1951, more or less, the year I was born. Somewhere there is a movie, taken over time, of the construction of this house. Yes, Mr. Kershner ( as I called him in my youth) designed this house, as well as Country Club Plaza Shopping Center at 51st and Harvard. His home was in Bolewood.
    I have many photos at hand of the back yard, my realm. There are many levels of sandstone layered to look like a hanging garden. The wall of the kitchen leading into the back yard had sandstone shelves protruding out from the wall for planters and other decorations. Originally, the kitchen was all metal as was the modern fashion of the day, I suppose.
    There is an upstairs with two bedrooms, one very small and one larger. I could climb out the windows up there and get out on the roof! Fun! And yes, this home has a “flat” roof. This home was my youth. I’d love to tour it if anyone knows the owner well enough to ask.
    I would be delighted to dig up the movie and if you contact Mary Sanditen 747-4401, my fathers widow, show her this spot and get her pictures.
    BTW, the beautiful white home just to the east was built and owned by Dr. Arnold and Bess Ungerman, an iconic physician from the 1940 thru the mid 1970’s.
    I wold love to buy this house as well.

9. James Lawrence 09. Jan, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

I’ve admired this home for quite some time. Went back in the archives on Tulsa MLS (I’m a part-timer with Keller Williams) but no activity or pictures to be found. I love this style and have fantasized about buying this home and doing a few updates, yet preserve the general look of the home as it stands. Anyway, I wonder what a new home similar to this one would cost to build? (love this site!)